Akademi now offers a structured skills development programme. This is a National Award a level 2 in Live Events and Promotion and helps as an introduction to the performing arts industry.
It can support dance artists to develop skills in creating and managing dance events and collaborating with cultural workers in production, event management, technical, front of house and programming.
The programme involves completing a learning journey made up of:
- A portfolio of written and media-based evidence
- Undertaking work –based tasks;
- Working on live events;
- Attending masterclasees and seminar sessions.
Participants are also given specific events to manage, with support from Akademi staff.
This course is accredited as a National Award in Live Event and Promotions at Level 2.
The units are varied and over a range of subjects related to working on live events and productions. They include:
- Planning and promoting A Live Event
- Health and Safety/ Security and Licensing
- Funding and Sponsorship for Live Events
- Pitching an Idea for an Event
- Technical support e.g. lighting
- Budgeting for an Event
- Publicity and marketing for an Event
Learners work on real work – based tasks to ‘evidence’ the units of learning.
Some of the employers who work with Akademi on this are the South Bank Centre and the Big Dance.